Director/VP Product Design
At Auror, we’re empowering the retail industry to tackle theft and Organised Retail Crime, a $150 Billion problem globally. It’s high volume crime that’s increasingly organised in nature and is putting people, retailers, and communities at risk every day.
Founded in New Zealand 11 years ago, we’re working with some of the best and largest retailers in the world across the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK. Auror is connecting people and intelligence to reduce crime. We’re using technology for good.
In partnership with our leading retail partners, we need people with the passion, determination, and innovation required to overcome one of the world's largest problems. If you’re looking to make a difference with and for the people dedicated to stopping crime, for good, then we want you on our team.
The Director of Product Design will play a pivotal role in shaping the user experience and visual identity of our products. This role requires a creative visionary who can lead a team of talented product designers, foster a culture of innovation, and collaborate closely with cross-functional teams to deliver exceptional user-centric designs. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record in product design leadership, a passion for technology, and the ability to drive design excellence throughout the organization.
Practically, this will involve:
- Design Leadership: Provide strategic direction and leadership to the product design team, setting a high standard for design excellence and fostering a collaborative and innovative design culture.
- Product Strategy: Collaborate with the Chief Product Officer and other key stakeholders to align design strategy with overall product goals and objectives.
- Mentorship and coaching: Finding moments and opportunities for the team to level up through coaching, advocating and motivating the team to deliver a world-class product design solution.
- Innovation: Stay abreast of industry trends and emerging user experience and design technologies to ensure our products remain cutting-edge and competitive.
This role is reporting into Tanya Johnson, Chief Product OfficerFounder of Women in Tech NZ's Slack community and the Auckland Women in Tech Meetup, I'm really motivated by doing work that makes a meaningful difference in the world, and supporting people in all the different ways they need to work well. "Context, Collaboration, and Cake" pretty accurately sums up my approach not only to work but to life in general. I'm enthusiastic about Taekwondo (which teaches me how to fail repeatedly and still persevere), love reading sci-fi and fantasy, and consider baking a good form of meditation. I'm excited to work with people who are curious about how things work, enjoy solving problems, think strategically, and are good at digging into details. Check out my LinkedIn here.
- Proven experience in a Product Design leadership role, and experience leading a team of 5+
- Experience transforming or leading businesses through impactful product design work
- Have a customer-centric mindset, demonstrating a high degree of empathy and curiosity about human behavior, backed by UX research
- Have a proven ability to translate business goals into an executable and digestible product design strategy
- A desire to be a thought leader in this space and contributing, networking with the Design community. Through this, you’ll also be on the pulse with industry trends and new innovative solutions
We are looking for people who demonstrate a strong alignment to our Guiding Principles (you can find these on our Careers page).
With diversity and inclusion at the forefront of Auror’s guiding principles, we promote a culture that celebrates diversity and inclusiveness at Auror, regardless of, but not limited to, race, gender, sexual orientation, family status, religion, ethnicity, national origin, physical disability, veteran status, or age.
- Competitive salary Range: Depending on level of experience of $180,000-$210,000 (PL5)
- Employee share scheme: You’ll own part of a company making a real difference!
- Flexibility: We are hard-working and outcome focused, but recognise there is more to life than work. We promote a healthy work/life blend.
- Shorter work weeks (at full pay): Everyone gets Friday afternoons off, so you can start your weekend early, and do more of whatever it is that makes you happy.
- Focus on mental and physical health: We understand how vital our health is and have policies to support your wellness, including: Wellness Days, and up to three expert sessions paid for every year.
- Family-friendly: We offer comprehensive parental leave and benefits for primary and non-primary caregivers, including a baby bonus and meals delivered to your door.
- Personal growth: We support our team to participate in courses, conferences, or events that will help them develop their skills.
- Team love: We have regular team lunches and social events where most (if not all) activities are during work hours
What are the next steps?
If you’re excited about our mission and you have experience and a passion for this role, please hit “Apply” below. We’re proud that Auror is a place where everyone can learn and grow. So if you’re not sure that you tick all the boxes but feel you’re close to what we’re looking for, please apply anyway as we’d love to hear from you!
Once you apply, you’ll hear from us to acknowledge your application. If you have questions about any of the above, or if you have any accessibility requirements, we’ll be able to help you from there.