Privacy & Legal Counsel - Auckland
At Auror, we’re empowering the retail industry to tackle theft and Organised Retail Crime, a $150 Billion problem globally. It’s high volume crime that’s increasingly organised in nature and is putting people, retailers, and communities at risk every day.
Founded in New Zealand 11 years ago, we’re working with some of the best and largest retailers in the world across the US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the UK.
Auror is connecting people and intelligence to reduce crime. We’re using technology for good.
In partnership with our leading retail partners, we need people with the passion, determination, and innovation required to overcome one of the world's largest problems. If you’re looking to make a difference with and for the people dedicated to stopping crime, for good, then we want you on our team.
We're looking for someone to join the Auror team as Privacy Officer and Legal Counsel. We have a Privacy-by-Design ethos for our products and across the company. We work with privacy and legal teams from the biggest retailers in the world, as well as working with Privacy Commissions and law enforcement agencies. You will work closely with our CEO who has a commercial law and privacy background and will be partnering with key senior stakeholders across the business.
This is a role that has a lot of variety and in any given day you’ll be focusing on the following:
- Understanding privacy legislation and best practice across the world, including in our target markets of NZ, Australia, US, Canada, and UK.
- Undertaking Privacy Impact Assessments.
- Researching and understanding new laws and the use of new technologies.
- Writing thought pieces and whitepapers on privacy.
- Working with our product team on new ideas, with particular input on the use of new technology and AI, access to PII, and processing of PII.
- Working closely with our external privacy consultants.
- Working with our customers’ legal and privacy teams.
Police and Law Enforcement (10%)
- Understanding and advising on police requirements across jurisdictions, including sharing information between the community and law enforcement, and relevant legislation and governance of law enforcement powers.
- Engaging with freedom of information and official information requests.
- Helping with drafting and negotiating contracts
- Educating external privacy/legal teams on privacy matters
- Ensuring relevant NDAs are in place
- Research and writing for articles
Company Legals (5%)
- Working with external counsel on various company matters
- Maintaining records and ensuring compliance with Companies Act requirements
- Assisting with capital raising
- Overseeing Company structure
- IP protection
- You have 5+ years PQE
- You are an expert in all things privacy, with a solid understanding of privacy legislation in NZ, Australia, US, UK and Canada
- You are pragmatic and commercially minded
- You have a keen interest in new technologies and areas of law, particularly privacy developments
- You are a self-starter comfortable working independently and proactively but with demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative fast-paced environment and make sound judgments under tight deadlines
- You have previous experience drafting and negotiating technology licenses and commercial agreements
- You have general knowledge of company law and wants to learn more about company operations and related legal matters
- You have experience in providing advice on new product features and functionality.
- You have ideally worked in a technology, high growth, and/or startup environment.
- You enjoy research and writing
- We are looking for people who demonstrate a strong alignment to our Guiding Principles (you can find these on our Careers page).
**However, even if you do not meet the above criteria, but have a strong interest in privacy, want to work within a tech company, and have a passion for helping keep our communities safe, we encourage you to apply.**
With diversity and inclusion at the forefront of Auror’s guiding principles, we promote a culture that celebrates diversity and inclusiveness at Auror, regardless of, but not limited to, race, gender, sexual orientation, family status, religion, ethnicity, national origin, physical disability, veteran status, or age.
- Competitive salary range: Depending on level of experience: $120,000k-$170,000k (IC4-IC5)
- Employee share scheme: You’ll own part of a company making a real difference!
- Flexibility: We are hard-working and outcome focused, but recognise there is more to life than work. We promote a healthy work/life blend.
- Shorter work weeks (at full pay): Everyone gets Friday afternoons off, so you can start your weekend early, and do more of whatever it is that makes you happy.
- Focus on mental and physical health: We understand how vital our health is and have policies to support your wellness, including: Wellness Days, and up to three expert sessions paid for every year.
- Family-friendly: We offer comprehensive parental leave and benefits for primary and non-primary caregivers, including a baby bonus and meals delivered to your door.
- Personal growth: We support our team to participate in courses, conferences, or events that will help them develop their skills.
- Team love: We have regular team lunches and social events where most (if not all) activities are during work hours.
Get in touch:
If you’re excited about our mission and have experience and a passion for this role, please hit Apply, and we’ll be in touch shortly.