Staff Rails Engineer - CANADA
Remote · Canada
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2023
HappyCo is a company where people can grow their careers and work with like minded people, with no egos or politics. HappyCo is values driven and offers a flexible, supportive culture. Join HappyCo and Make Work Happy!
Founded in 2011, HappyCo (happy.co) builds mobile and cloud solutions to enable real-time property data. Our flagship product suite 'Happy Property’ has 2.7M units on its platform and has captured more than 270 million photos. We’re everyday people with a shared purpose — improving people’s lives. Our team is made up of thinkers, talkers, planners, makers, builders and everything in between. Together, we’re turning our passions into happier communities! When customers use our software, their communities get stronger. Our tools empower everyone in multifamily property management to improve their operations and maximize returns, which means they’re building better experiences for their residents. When property people are happy, we’re happy. That’s why we’re HappyCo. Learn more about our Product Vision here!
Where & How We Work
At HappyCo we work in a multitude of ways depending on where we are and what is going on in our lives. Whether that be fully remote or hybrid remote, or in-office sometimes, we cater for everyone!
We currently have an office in Adelaide, Australia but our team is currently spread across Australia, United States, New Zealand and Canada and we are growing rapidly!
Being globally distributed means thinking about other time zones and to support this we offer autonomy and flexibility in how you structure your day around core working hours. There might be some collaboration outside of a "normal" 9-5, but we aim to work asynchronously as much as possible.
Our HappyCo Culture & Values
HappyCo strives to build better communities. So naturally, we are dedicated to making our own community an enjoyable place that lets us do our best work. We’re devoted to building an inclusive, supportive culture that empowers each HappyCo’er to succeed and grow. To learn more about our culture, check out our Glassdoor page and our careers page!
HappyCo’s culture is driven by our core values of Make Happiness, Stronger Together, Get Good Sh*t Done, Look Outward First and Kaizen - sounds great, right, but what does this mean for you?
We’re looking for a Staff Rails Engineer to help us align and guide engineering efforts across multiple teams while mentoring, helping unblock teams, and ensuring alignment. We’re hoping that you can help us continue to foster a culture of mentorship and technical excellence while delivering value to our customers.
HappyCo is a PropTech startup that's been around for more than a decade. We primarily build workflow-focused apps for the multifamily segment (think apartment complexes). We’re currently undergoing unprecedented growth and expect to sustain this for some time to come.
Our product experience teams each have empowered triads -- a product manager, lead designer, and lead engineer -- who work together as a cohesive unit to discover customer problems and build solutions that solve customers’ problems, meet our usability standards, are feasible to build, and viable for our business.
Each empowered product team is measured by business outcomes, not output or stakeholder-driven roadmaps, and is empowered to determine the best solution to meet business outcomes. In your role, you will need to apply a holistic product lens in your management of the engineers in achieving their team outcomes.
Our engineering team was previously exclusively in Australia, but we’ve been growing our team across the Americas since early 2022. This role is 100% remote (Americas based) and reports to our Head of Engineering in the U.S.
Week by Week
During your first two weeks you will:
- Get to know our leadership, culture, and values
- Complete our HappyCo orientation and onboarding program
- Familiarize yourself with our systems and tools
- Read our favorite industry primers
- Attend your first Company Wide Meeting
During your first 1-3 months you will:
- Get acquainted with our product team triads
- Share insights to help improve our hiring and onboarding processes
- Present your first strategy document including measurable goals and success criteria
- Facilitate a team-building event that fosters a culture of collaboration and growth
During your first 6-12 months you will:
- Organize & Support: Provide high-level technical advice to Engineering Leadership, help teams become unblocked on technical challenges, mentor teammates and foster growth outside of the line management model, and set the example of developing software thoughtfully and iteratively
- Architect & Guide: Work with Engineering Leads and peers to design the overarching system architecture and communicate this architecture across all teams, provide architectural guardrails and principles that help shape how new products are built, and ensure new components and services undergo appropriate architectural review while providing guidance around tradeoffs
- Support Key Initiatives: Support Engineering Leads and peers to transition our Rails monolith onto a federated graph, evaluate approaches and support implementation of an event-driven architecture and global identifiers
- Support Observability: Work with Engineering Leadership and product teams to define appropriate SLOs in accordance with customer SLAs, and support Engineering Leads to leverage Honeycomb for their observability use cases
What we think you need to be successful:
- 8 or more years of experience in software engineering
- 3 or more years of experience working in Rails monoliths
- Experience coordinating multi-quarter, multi-team technical projects while enabling teams to ship iteratively
- Demonstrated ability to build systems that maintain a balance between time-to-market, usability, and technical architecture
- An affinity for cross-functional team collaboration with the ability to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- Ability to maintain high code quality while focusing on progress over perfection
How we build at HappyCo
- Our customer-facing Product vision
- How our product teams are organized (external summary)
Technologies - We have two Rails codebases:
- One Rails monolith houses a number of different product domains. The application is on Rails 7, Ruby 3, and PostgreSQL, tested with RSpec and Capybara, and uses K8s and GCP for infrastructure. The application is primarily server-rendered and leverages Hotwire for interactive components.
- One monolith with a Rails backend (running on Rails 6, Ruby 2.6, and PostgreSQL) and React on the front-end, with Cypress for end-to-end tests. This application is deployed to AWS.
- Production experience with GraphQL, including graph federation on Apollo
- Experience designing workshops and structured learning for teams of engineers to develop particular skills
- Experience with Go, React, Rust, Scala, or Haskell
Our Benefits/ Perks
In coordination with Employer of Record, Deel:
++Work from anywhere!
++Opportunity to work for one of the fastest growing technology companies in the PropTech industry
++Generous paid parental leave, all bank holidays + 15 days vacation and 10 days sick time off
++100% paid employee benefits at Bronze level with opportunity to pay for advanced levels
++Sabbatical: 4 weeks after 5 years
++Monthly stipends to support Wellness and Home Office expenses
We believe in supporting people to do their best work and thrive, and building a diverse, equitable, and inclusive company is core to our mission. Our goal is to ensure that HappyCo upholds an inclusive environment where all people feel that they are equally respected and valued, whether they are applying for an open position or working at the company. We welcome applicants of any educational background, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, age, citizenship, socioeconomic status, disability, and veteran status. HappyCo is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures.
A note to Recruitment Agencies: Please don’t reach out to us about our roles -- we’ve got it covered. We don’t accept unsolicited agency resumes and HappyCo is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes
See more open positions at HappyCo
Something looks off?